Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Table Image

I remember when i could play at the big Omaha and Dealers Choice games at The Vic and hardly be recognised. As people normally guess my age between 18-21 (see link below for photographic proof) i feel that this gave me a significant advantage as i could often just play the nuts and get paid off due to my perceived relative inexperience in these games. I lost count of the number of times that i used to make alot of money everytime i hit a monster hand. Now i am a recognised and reasonably respected player i think i have lost that part of my game that gave me a big edge. Now when i check raise players let go of hands. I have started to make more moves as i can't just wait for the nuts any longer. I have started making strong moves on pots if i sense weakness. I check raised someone £400 on a scary JJ5 flop last week and actually managed to get them to let go of 55 in an 5 card Omaha PL game when i didn't have a J. This is not a move that i would have made in the past but it seems i've resorted to big bluffs to take down serious pots of late.

How do i adjust my game now i am recognised? I need to think about this seriously. Suggestions would help!!

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=g&n=26577

On top of being recognised i have also noticed something far more significant that could affect my long term expectations in the big games at the Vic. Where have all the fish gone? I know the Vic is regarded as one of the toughest places to play in the country but last year in the big games i could always guarantee there would be 2 or more players just waiting to let go of there money if you kind a suitable situation to relieve them of it. However, in my last three visits last week in the £250 dealers choice i encountered two bad players in total over three sessions. One of these is was of the dangerous/aggressive sort that can prove tricky. My last session was the biggest rock fest i have ever been in at the Vic. Where have they all gone? Answers on a postcard please!!

1 comment:

Milkybarkid said...

I have actually changed my tactics at Omaha of late. I have started to bet and check raise with big draws and make it tougher for opponents to put me on a hand. I definitely don't want to become predictable and especially preflop i will raise with a whole range of hands. Also sometimes i will just call with a huge hand before the flop because if i hit it is far better disguised. this tactic won me a pot of over 2k last week. The best thing is for me to keep changing gears throughout a session.